Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Magic in Education?


The article discussed the typical way in which an art class is structured and in my experience this structure seems to hold true. Elementary art teachers seem to struggle with controlling the classroom, keeping kids interested, following the curriculum and having the students produce good quality art work. As a result of this list the approach and general structure of lesions and the lesson topics themselves seem to be the same. This may produce nice neat and well structured art works but it causes the work to look similar from student to student and classroom to classroom. In my observation hours I have seen elementary teachers fall victim to this despite being some of the best teachers who are the most connected to their students.

I'm not sure if I follow the analogy of magic that is carried throughout the entire article but I do follow the idea that even though it appears that teachers are teaching in a way that allows for creativity it is all an illusion. This was my experience throughout elementary school; the class was given a lesion and allowed to create their own version however by following along with the teacher’s instructions all the art ended up looking the same. The older I got however, my classes did seem to become more student centered and I was able to pursue and expand upon my artistic interests in relation to the overall lesson topic or material.

This article has inspired a laundry list of ideas that I would love to implement in my future classroom. It seems to me that a successful classroom falls somewhere in the balance of letting the student drive and inspire themselves and each other and giving them the tool and knowledge to be able to do so. I do worry however that in allowing students to work in different mediums on different projects at the same time will result in me as a teacher not being able to budget the time each student needs during any given class period.

I think this video from a student’s perspective really brings up a lot of good points and reflects what is being taught in this article. A student centered classroom where students are asked to engage in mastery learning rather than memorization and replication seems to be the future of progressive education in our schools. This is applicable to schools in general and should not be limited to just art classrooms.


No comments:

Post a Comment