Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Combined Effort is Sometimes The Key to Success


How Do We Look At and Respond to Artworks in Meaningful Ways?

            In our class discussions, we have gone over the idea that “art has its winners”. Unfortunately, this is true in a sense that the famous artworks we have studied in our art history classes or simply just what we have grown up on are chosen by random curators and museum owners. These curators have gotten the privilege to select what goes on display all according to what they find interesting and unique, which may not even be how the public feels about it.  Due to the selectivity of these works, we continue to look at, study, and respond to artwork that can only be compared to what we see in museums chosen by other curators. It is sad to say that most of the artwork we interpret has been chosen to be put on exhibition by the likings of complete strangers. I believe that if it were up to the general public, some artists from the past that are famous for their so-called abstract masterpieces would have never made it as far as they did. However, these works are the only things we can respond to and so we do in ways that make it as meaningful to us as we can.
            In Melinda Mayer’s article on “Looking Outside the Frame”, she focuses on the ideas of habitual thinking towards responding to artwork in museums. Mayer investigates the ideas that museums are great places for conversations and discussions and that the myths about being quiet in museums (which I believed were true) are actually false. She explains that people should be comfortable expressing their opinions freely as they wander the hallways of a gallery or exhibit. I found this interesting because I have always felt the pressure of others responding to art in a museum setting to be very professional. Stating my most likely uninformed opinion to a stranger that is dissecting the piece next to me just seems out right nerve-wracking. Mayer explains that, “good gallery teaching involves sensitively drawing out and responding to museum visitors as they develop insights about art and life” (p. 17). This idea helped identify how important it is to make meaning of a painting through discussion through combined effort. I know that my art history classes have taught me to individually make meaningful responses to artwork but there are many things I would not have realized on my own if it were not for the discussions in the class.
Mayer reminds us in her article that in art, there are no right or wrong answers, which I guess I have just forgotten when it comes to analyzing art in an official setting. I have found that when responding to artwork at home, a close friend’s, or relative’s house, I am much more inclined to state and make meaning of my opinions with ease. After reading this article, I have come to the conclusion that I have felt more comfortable making meaning of artwork with close friends, family, or in a small classroom setting because we are much more likely to have something in common. I believe that in order to respond to art in meaningful ways, it should be a combined effort that will provoke discussion and thought!

Another way to help make meaningful reactions:
Watch this video on using persuasion to receive a more compelling response!

No comments:

Post a Comment