Tuesday, October 1, 2013

"Things"

          My mother would likely call me a "mild hoarder." I however, would call myself a "lover of things." Things, objects, gifts, belongings, tools, toys, pictures, papers, postcards, records, candle holders, jars; the list goes on and on. Why do humans surround themselves with "things" or "objects?" Some may have certain functions for work or play, some may have deep sentimental meaning and history, or perhaps some are purely aesthetic. Truth is, "things" are important. We make them and craft them, or buy them and use them, give them as gifts, or admire them once we notice their presence. I truly believe a simple, white, ceramic bowl should be admired. It was first thought up by ancient people that magically created the idea of having something to hold their water or food or belongings in a contained, stored space. The pure history of a bowl is quite magnificent. From mud clay being pinched and molded, to Pier 1 Imports that sells hundreds of perfectly glazed, smoothed bowls that are microwavable safe. "Things" have plenty of history and successful progress under their belt. Artwork specifically  has one of the most extensive, rich histories that has had many advancements and stylistic changes as well.

         From an early age, humans live with things, objects, or what is called "material culture." Material culture includes all objects, artifacts, trinkets, things, etc. that are tangible and have been created by man for whatever purpose. Everything from your favorite games such as "Twister," to the colored mats on the floor in your second grade art room, to the floral couch in your living room. Then the things around you may have changed to pop cd covers, posters in the art room, or your mother's silver van. And finally your everyday objects may turn to car seats, wine glasses in the cupboard, a bronze sculpture on your mantel, or a new leather briefcase you carry every morning. All in all, objects/things will always play a major role in our everyday lives.

      When you look through an artistic lens, you can see beauty, thoughts and skill in all of these objects. Someone had to think up the idea of the couch, someone then had to decide tools and materials to use. Color swatches were created and looked over, and once the labor was over and the couch was made, it was then sent to a store where customers evaluate it with their own criteria and thoughts and purchase or continue to browse. The couch then may have a special function as a splash of color in a room, where kids work on homework, memories are made, or awkward in-laws sit.

       Material culture is influencing, smart, functional, historical, modern, aesthetic; all the above. It interacts with both the humans that create and use them, and the environment we place them in. Art Educators are looking at the importance of teaching material culture to students in hopes of obtaining better understanding of the creation process, historical points, evaluation, association and analysis of "things." I strongly agree with this thinking. Whether it be a painting, ceramics, a spoon or an old dresser, things can have a vast amount of history and information that students should be able to discover and digest. I believe that the overall idea of "Material Culture" should be taught in art rooms and should be the main concept behind some lesson plans, such as using found or recycled items as their medium.Breaking down an object and analyzing in depth can lead to much larger ideas and artistic concepts useful to art students.













2 comments:

  1. Although my husband would probably say I am very unsentimental about things and would have no problem throwing anything away, I actually do have a deep fascination with material culture. I do not have a background in art, but as you mention here, I love to think about where and when and how the things around me were made and the ways people appreciate or take for granted the complexity and historicity things. My main interest in education is what is referred to as place-based educational philosophy which has many environmental undertones. I find it challenging to make sense of the gray area between valuing objects based on their longevity and environmental friendliness and valuing objects based on their aesthetic or some other emotional attachment even if they are more representative of consumer culture than more localized cultures. I love that you share your belief that material culture should be taken up and discussed in art classrooms! What an awesome perspective to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabriella,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog entry! You bring up some good points in thinking about objects within different contexts. I believe it may be part of human nature to collect items. Maybe not as much as some people (including myself) do, but there is definitely still an instinct to gather and save for later. From my experiences people like forming connections and creating memories, objects help accomplish this desire. Utilitarian objects are no different. Design is something I have always tried to consider when purchasing an item. If possible I try and physically interact with an object, such as a cup or bowl. This summer I went to the State College Arts Festival with the intention of buying a mug. I walked around from vender to vender picking up different cups I saw, placing them carefully in my hands. I kept asking myself if it was the right cup for me. Did it feel okay? Too heavy? Bulky? What would hot tea be like in it? Finally, I found my perfect mug, but it took a while. I think sometimes people forget that utilitarian objects can be personalized. That's not to say I don't just walk into Target or Macy's and buy stuff. Stuff is awesome!
    Thanks,
    Kate Brennan

    ReplyDelete