Tuesday, October 22, 2013



Looking Outside the Frame

     If I sit and try to think back to my first few museum experiences in life, I picture myself squeezed into a big brown bus seat with two of my best school friends, looking out the window. I know I am going to a museum of sorts where I can look at things but not touch things. I know I am to behave because for about twenty minutes before we all boarded the bus, my teacher told us all that when we are in the museum, we are to keep our ears open and mouthes shut. I have been looking forward to this since about a month ago when I was sent home with a field trip permission form Mom signed. 




     We arrive and walk into the museum in a single file line. We are greeted by a woman who leads us throughout the rooms where we periodically stand and she talks at us about what is in front of us and some history behind it. I usually thought most exhibits were interesting, even to my 8 year old mind, but I would always end up dragging my feet by the end. All I ever wanted to do was just look at the things I liked, for as long as I wanted, as close as I wanted and on my own. I wanted to think for myself instead of being told what to think by the museum tour guide. I can even relate to the same feelings today. Whether it be a short trip over to the Palmer Museum or Zoller Gallery with my professor and studio class or a trip to the Mattress Factory amidst a road trip, I want to experience the museum on my own!


    Is this an issue? Is it odd that I want to go through a museum, especially an art museum, at my own pace in silence or making small comments to my gal pal as I stand in front of each painted canvas? No! Melinda Mayer speaks of these things in her article, Looking Outside the Frame (2012). The myths of being silent, being told what to think and take from the artworks and various similar things shall be extinct myths. I believe that the main concept and use of an art museum is to provide a variety of art pieces that bring new experiences and knowledge to the viewer. Whether it be an emotional experience, knowledge of a new artist or simply visually stimulating, a trip through an art museum can be inspirational when done correctly! And when I say "correctly," I mean what is best fit and most enjoyed by the viewer.


    A myth mentioned in the article that truly caught my eye was "the average visitor doesn't know anything about art." This negative assumption is something that should be avoided by all museum educators, art teachers or even visitors themselves. Sometimes visitors go into a museum with the thoughts of being overwhelmed or feeling not knowledgeable enough about art or art history, then do not have an open mind to make connections or experiences with the museum's content. I can remember going to a few various art museums with my father and before we would even enter the building, he would tell me "he wouldn't get any of this art stuff inside." By him saying that, he wasn't allowing himself to truly examine the artworks with much motivation or personal opinion which was rather frustrating for me to watch!


    All in all, I adored that Melinda Mayer was so blunt and honest about what often goes on between art museum doors. We can all relate to either feeling intimidated or discouraged in a museum whether it be due to actual, physical reasons or myths we have heard or created in our minds. An art museum trip should be something that occurs at least once for everyone. But it is key to go into the experience with the right thinking, and the museum educators or teachers doing the same! So cheers to debunking art museum myths!

Mayer, Melinda M. (2012). Looking Outside the Frame. Art Education. 15-18.    


"Field Trips-Bringing Lessons to Life." ACA Field Trips: Arizona Connections Academy. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Oct. 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment